Wednesday, June 1, 2011

VICTORIA STILWELL'S SADIE

Sadie is a gorgeous (and most certainly well-behaved) chocolate lab whose person is Victoria Stilwell. Victoria is one of the world's most recognized and respected dog trainers, best known for her role as the host of Animal Planet's hit TV series "It's Me or the Dog," and as a judge on "CBS's Greatest American Dog."

First of all, I need to stress that I am perfect and have no personal need for Victoria's special brand of expertise. Now that we've gotten that straight, I would like to share with you the conversation Sadie and I had, and then I'll tell you more about Victoria.

Talisman: I believe that, in the cosmic design, we animals are here to help people find their way. Presume I am correct (of course) and tell me what human you were born to help and what lesson you are here to help that person learn?

Sadie: It’s taken me awhile, but I’ve finally settled down with my true family. The youngest in the family was very scared of even happy dogs like me before I arrived, but I helped her get over that really quickly. So it seems pretty clear that my main purpose here is to continue to develop alongside her as she figures out all the crazy stuff those humans have to deal with.

Talisman: Do you believe in a Divine Being?

Sadie: I don’t know – never really thought about it. I guess there’s gotta be some kind of higher power, because the joy I feel when I’m out on a walk or when someone comes back home is not something I think any dog could really take credit for creating on their own.

Talisman: Are you afraid of death?

Sadie: You just gotta roll with it. I try not to get too bogged down in stuff that depresses me, so I choose to ignore that which I cannot change and celebrate whatever is I’ve got when I’ve got it.

Talisman: What do you want your legacy to be?

Sadie: To carve out a special place in the hearts of all those I lived with so that they can carry our joy with them wherever they go.

Talisman: What gives you the greatest joy?

Sadie: Walks, food games, tummy rubs, and getting wet. Oh, and during the springtime, licking my feet.

In her role as the host of Animal Planet's hit TV series "It's Me or the Dog," Victoria Stilwell is able to share her insight and passion for positive, reward-based dog training. By reaching audiences in over 30 countries, Stilwell helps counsel families on their pet problems. Her two best-selling books, IT'S ME OR THE DOG: How to Have the Perfect Pet and FAT DOG SLIM: How to Have a Healthy, Happy Pet, have been widely praised, and they detail her core reward-based training philosophies: "think dog" and develop "clear, consistent communication between owner and dog." Stilwell is passionate about using positive reinforcement training methods that enhance a dog's ability to learn while increasing confidence, resulting in a healthy, well-adjusted pet. She is firmly against the use of forceful, dominance-based training techniques which often result in 'quick fixes' but ultimately cause more long-term harm than good.

Victoria has a particular fondness for rescue animals in need of behavior rehabilitation, and has devoted much of her time and energy to a number of animal rescue organizations in New York and Atlanta, serving as a behavior advisor and giving regular seminars on the subject of dog rescue, training and rehabilitation. She is committed to helping the cause of animal rescue and is heavily involved with rescue groups around the world including Paws Atlanta, Stray from the Heart (NYC), Hong Kong Dog Rescue and Greyhound Rescue of West England. She supports the Wisconsin Puppy Mill Project, Jana Kohl and the Waterside Action Group to increase awareness of the horrific practice of puppy mills globally. She has worked as a volunteer adoption counselor for the ASPCA, and she has been featured in numerous magazines and journals including The New York Times, Cosmopolitan, The Daily Mail, MSNBC.com, USA Today, Psychology Today and The Sun. Stilwell is a regular columnist for Dog World, American Dog and Dogs Today magazines. Victoria is certified by the Animal Behavior and Training Associates and is a proud member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT).

Victoria currently resides in Atlanta with her husband, daughter and Sadie. Her website is: http://victoriastilwell.com/

My own curriculum vitae includes an honorary degree in obedience (I was too perfect to really need the training) being a beauty queen, working as a celebrity interviewer, and playing a fabulous character in the witty new novel, RED HOT PROPERTY, by Devin O'Branagan. RED HOT PROPERTY is the tale of two rookie real estate agents learning to swim with the sharks at the town's most cutthroat agency. Critics have called it "hilarious, sassy, captivating, and filled with vivid unforgettable characters." I am one of those memorable characters; I'm the office mascot and real estate assistant. And since I have an ego to match my stellar talent, I expect you to read the book. You can learn more about it by visiting: http://www.redhotnovel.com/

I'm also a spokesdog for Best Friends Animal Society, the nation's largest sanctuary for homeless, abused and abandoned animals. To learn more about Best Friends, follow your nose to http://www.bestfriends.org/

Come back soon to read more of my perfect celebrity interviews!

No comments: